We operate our lodges and tours without harming the surrounding environment. We provide tips and education about sustainability for our #ChildrenOfTheJungle and for local populations to implement and we encourage good practices in their daily lives. Enjoy ecotourism activities without degrading the environment or local communities and thus ensure that future generations will be able to enjoy the same opportunity that you have had.
- Sustainability is our company’s central value. We promote sustainable practices and always strive to reduce our impact on our surroundings.
- General operations at Amazon Jungle Trips – A.J.T. contribute in a real, constructive, and comprehensive manner toward the creation of economic opportunities for the entire organization (owners and staff), all while protecting the environment and respecting the culture and uniqueness of the local peoples living in the places we visit during our tours.
- Sustainability is the foundation on which all of our operations are built. It is an inherent characteristic of all the services we provide.
- We are constantly training our #ChildrenOfTheJungle in sustainability so that they are well equipped to run our touristic operations in a sustainable manner.
- Saving water, using clean energy, and recycling are fundamental pillars of our commitment to operate our company in a responsible manner. We therefore commit to:
- Use energy sparingly by implementing efficient practices.
- Help conserve water resources by avoiding waste and contamination.
- Properly manage waste products by observing reduce-reuse-recycle guidelines.
In addition to our environmental practices, we also:
- Contribute by conserving forest resources within the country.
- Contribute by reducing air pollution.
- The vehicles used in our operations meet all legally required safety and emissions standards.
- We carry up-to-date insurance.
- We actively participate in programs to mitigate our impact on the environment.
- We comply with all relevant national environmental legislation (regarding wastewater disposal and recycling, hazardous waste, and the use of agricultural chemicals, among others).
- We maintain appropriate cleanliness and safe conditions for the health of all our #ChildrenOfTheJungle (guests, staff, vendors, and communities in general).
- We properly manage the waste generated by our tours, as well as the waste produced in our office.
- Transportation services—by land or water and either our own or those operated by third parties—are up to date on their safety and emissions licensing and insurance as well as any other required permitting as the case may be.
- We encourage our #ChildrenOfTheJungle to involve our guests in the sustainability practices that we have adopted.
- We take pains to train all our #ChildrenOfTheJungle (staff and guests) in things they can do to save water and electricity. These practices are described in our resource management plan for the resources we use in the operation of our tourism business and during our tours.
- We work with small groups. This allows us to minimize our environmental impact, which in turn guarantees that current and future generations will be able to enjoy the different habitats and ecosystems that we visit.
- We choose to work with vendors who implement sustainable tourism practices.
- We opt to use environmentally friendly cleaning products in our lodges; most are organic, and the rest break down quickly.
- We do not allow the use of substances like chlorine, which have strong negative effects and degrade the environment and its ecosystems.
- Amazon Jungle Trips – A.J.T. is a “smoke-free tour operator.” Smoking is prohibited in our offices and vehicles. We promote a healthy, clean, and comfortable environment for all our #ChildrenOfTheJungle.
- We initiate and support recycling efforts and we encourage our #ChildrenOfTheJungle and other community members to participate and join this environmentally friendly social and cultural movement.
- At Amazon Jungle Trips – A.J.T. we strive to protect and promote the value of our natural attractions. These attractions are what have brought us international recognition as a country full of wealth and dedicated to conservation. We practice sustainable tourism.
- When visiting protected wilderness areas, we instruct our #ChildrenOfTheJungle in the importance of respecting and caring for existing ecosystems. We also train them to avoid the removal of flora and fauna and to avoid feeding or hunting animals.
- We offer our #ChildrenOfTheJungle guests an enjoyable, one-of-a-kind ecotourism experience where you can observe the importance of conservation and see the wealth of our natural heritage. You will be able to enjoy all this responsibly.
- We strongly oppose any tourism activity that infringes upon the customs and cultural practices of local communities or that endangers the physical or moral integrity of our #ChildrenOfTheJungle (staff or guests) or of local populations, or any other form of social degradation.
- We provide a tourism experience based on ethics, quality, and sustainability. To this end, we at Amazon Jungle Trips – A.J.T. lobby within tourism, political, and business circles for equitable compensation to our company, our staff, the environment, and the community.
- All national and international promotions involve special tour plans designed with the unique features of each area in mind. We strive to achieve mutual benefits including promoting our image and answering to the touristic vision and objectives of our tourism company and of our local region.
We are known for providing, as far as we are able, high-quality service tailored to the specific needs of each client. But while providing this service, we also always act responsibly in view of the health and safety of our #ChildrenOfTheJungle. We promote caring for our natural and cultural resources and for our heritage.
We comply with the rules and regulations of current legislation regarding the activities of tourism operators.
- Comply with policies regarding quality and customer service.
- Comply with workplace health and safety policies.
- Share good sustainability practices with our special interest groups.
- Encourage the purchase of domestically manufactured products.
- Comply with all applicable Colombian legislation.
Development of Programs
- Support for local communities.
- Contracting with national and international vendors.
- Programs against: Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Boys, Girls, and Minors (ESCNNA); illegal trafficking in flora, fauna, and cultural goods.
- Promotion of our cultural and natural heritage.
- Waste management according to Colombian Technical Guidelines GTC 24.
Responsible Behavior in the Natural Settings We Visit
Human trafficking is a horrible crime that is driven by demand. When you visit a foreign country, don’t fall into the trap of encouraging trafficking. If you suspect that someone is being forced to work against their will or that they are being abused, or, if you simply see something that you think isn’t quite right in a bar, a hotel, or a restaurant, report it. Your actions could be all that’s needed to avoid a case of sexual exploitation and forced labor. Children are especially vulnerable. Don’t let child abuse happen.
Protecting Flora, Fauna, and Water Resources
Killing protected wild animals and illegally exploiting plants and forests are crimes that carry a devastating impact on the environment, local ways of life, and biodiversity. Think twice before purchasing or using something made from exotic trees, plants, or animals. You could be contributing to their extinction or their exploitation. Before traveling, study up on local exotic dishes that could contain illegal products. Don’t forget that many countries—maybe yours also—fine people who are caught trafficking in protected wildlife, exotic plants, or products made with threatened timber species.
Cultural items like traditional masks, ceramics, and antiques make appealing gifts; however, make sure you are not unknowingly buying stolen goods that were illegally removed or obtained by looting. Every day, countless sites and monuments around the world fall prey to looting. Looting robs communities of their past.
There are organized crime rings that transport and sell these goods. This behavior can have an irreversible impact. It robs countries and their citizens of their heritage and cultural identity.
Make sure that the souvenirs you take home have a legal and documented history and are not stolen objects. If necessary, make sure that you have permission to export them. Ask about the origin of the items you buy and always consider the historical wealth and heritage of your own country and how you would feel if all that was stolen from you.